- We highly recommend that you make climbing reservations in advance. Our climbing courses generally begin at 7:45 am (mountain time), making same-day bookings very difficult.
- We fill our calendar on a first-come, first-served basis and have a limited number of guides available.
- All trips meet at the South Dakota Outdoor Shop at 632 Mount Rushmore Road, Custer, SD, unless otherwise arranged.
- All participants must be at least 5 years of age.
- All groups with minors must have an adult present during the course. The adults are encouraged, but not required to climb.
- Rock climbing and related activities bear certain risks. All participants will be required to complete an online waiver package prior to arriving for their scheduled climbing trip. Parents and legal guardians will need to fill out a waiver package, whether or not they are climbing, and include their minor children (who are participating) in the parent’s waiver. Only a parent or legal guardian will be allowed to sign the waivers on behalf of minors.
- Online bookings must be made at least 2 days in advance.
- If you have pets, they will need to be boarded during the climbing day. We do not allow pets on our climbing trips. Some of our previous clients have used Rover.com to find pet sitters.
- Participant must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
NOT all of our courses are offered for online booking. If you have any questions or would like to make a booking for a trip not offered online, please call us at 605-484-7585.
Deposit and Refund Policy
Please understand that making a reservation for a climbing trip is similar to ordering live lobster at a restaurant. Once you order it, it gets thrown into boiling water, and it’s yours. When you make a climbing reservation, we schedule a guide for your trip, which prevents us from accepting another reservation.
We want you to fully enjoy your planned climbing experience with us, but we do understand that plans sometimes change. We hope you understand that cancellations, especially with short notice, negatively impact us as well.
When making your reservation, full payment for the course cost will be applied to your credit card and used to hold your slot on the calendar. This is refundable up to 30 days prior to your course date, minus a $35 administration fee.
If you cancel less than 30 days in advance, but more than 48 hours in advance, 50% of your payment will be refunded. If you do not show up on the day of your course or cancel less than 48 hours prior to the date of your course, you will not be eligible for any refund.
Up to 14 days in advance, you may reschedule your climbing trip for an alternate date within the same climbing season at no additional charge.
Short-notice reservations made less than 48 hours before the scheduled course will not be eligible for refund.
Weather Refund policy
You should come prepared to climb regardless of the weather. If Sylvan Rocks, in its sole discretion, decides that climbing is not feasible due to weather, we will provide a full refund for your trip (less a 3% credit card fee), or you can reschedule it for an alternate date within the same climbing season at no additional cost. If a course is shortened due to weather, you will receive a prorated refund. If you are able to complete at least two thirds of the scheduled course duration, no refunds will be given.
Contact us to plan your rock climbing adventure at 605-484-7585